Yann's Blog - Technology at large

November 4, 2009

Contribtastic 2.0 Alpha 1, upload to EVE-Central via cache files

Filed under: EVE-Central — Yann @ 1:09 am

(tl;dr: New uploader with cache reading capability is available as an early alpha release: Download here )

When I was working on libevecache, I was imagining making a quick-turn uploader which used the functionality from the library allowing EVE-Central uploader users to no longer have to hit the magic button.

That was several months ago now. How time flies when everything else is demanding your attention: house stuff, hardware stuff, work stuff, other stuff. I wasn’t even distracted by video games or EVE-Online. My dream of a quick turn uploader clone obviously was just a dream, up until now.

I am releasing Contribtastic 2.0-alpha1, available on the download site as a Windows installer. Contribtastic is a bit different than originally intended (I am reusing the wxPython skeleton from the MarketUploader 1.3, not the pure C++ Qt framework), but this is all to get it out the door quickly: I spent more time downloading and installing the EVE client on my shiny new Windows 7 system than writing code or adapting the new framework to work with libevecache. Go Python go.

There are some known errata:

1. Contribtastic doesn’t always detect the cache folder path correctly
  2. The user login functionality is basically totally broken. (Sorry, no credits for uploads yet)
  3. Upload suggestions aren’t working
  4. 0 item cache files will not be interpreted by the EVE-Central.com parser (a server side issue)
  5. Memory usage has not been analyzed
  6. Bonking upload now while already scanning for uploads can break things
  7. Only tested on Windows 7

This is an alpha version, but please enjoy!

8 Comments

1. It does not appear to work on my Windows XP install.
    Log File:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “uploader.py”, line 19, in
    File “evec_upload\main.pyo”, line 19, in
    File “evec_upload\upload.pyo”, line 32, in
    File “evec_upload\config.pyo”, line 25, in
    File “win32com\__init__.pyo”, line 5, in
    File “win32api.pyo”, line 12, in
    File “win32api.pyo”, line 10, in __load
    ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified procedure could not be found.

Comment by Droxlyn — November 4, 2009 @ 5:37 am

2. Delete POWRPROF.dll (in the same directory as uploader.exe) if you have the same error as I did and it’ll work fine. Apparently WinXP uses a different version of that file and having a newer one causes problems.

My version now runs but no matter what I set the cache location to it doesn’t seem to find anything to upload. I’ve tried:
    C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE
    C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE\Cache
    C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE\Cache\
    C:\Documents and Settings\Stuart\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\cache

all with no luck

Comment by Marcus D'Eriellius — November 4, 2009 @ 5:53 am

3. Set it to C:\Documents and Settings\Stuart\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility\cache\MachoNet\87.237.38.200\219\CachedMethodCalls

and it finds stuff to upload but it crashes when it completes the first upload.

Comment by Marcus D'Eriellius — November 4, 2009 @ 6:18 am

4. The client wants to see the CachedMethodCalls folder right now. I’ll update the documentation to make this clearer.

I am also spinning alpha2 to fix packaging issues on Windows XP.

Comment by Yann — November 4, 2009 @ 8:29 am

5. Alpha2 runs on Vista x64, but crashes after doing a full pass on cache folder (53 entries uploaded in my case). Also, while uploading it doesn’t show item names but IDs instead.

Comment by Rytis — November 4, 2009 @ 9:34 am

6. For those of you having crashes with the uploader, and are willing to help by sending me your cache folder, please try the following:
    - Shut down EVE
    - Make a copy/zip of the CachedMethodCalls folder
    - Delete the contents of the CachedMethodCalls folder
    - Start up EVE
    - See if the uploader crashes.
    - Send the zip file of the CachedMethodCalls folder and a report if its crashing or not to yann@stackfoundry.com

I will be adding logging in the next version to help trace this issue. As these things go, my test setups do not have any issues with the evecache.dll crashing, but I obviously don’t have all available cache files on my system.

Comment by Yann — November 4, 2009 @ 10:08 am

7. Does not crash after the cleanup. Emailed you crashing set of cache files.

Comment by Rytis — November 4, 2009 @ 10:47 am

8. Thank you for supplying the crashing file. It appears certain NPC standing cache files have a sharetab which is not understood correctly, causing this crash. I’ve committed the fix to libevecache, and will build a new Contribtastic later today.

Comment by Yann — November 4, 2009 @ 11:20 am

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Powered by WordPress